What Makes Mississippi So Bad?

Share:
Image Source

The state of Mississippi is statistically one of the worst states to live in. The national poverty rate is 11.4%; for Mississippi, it’s 18.7%. The national unemployment rate across the country is 3.5%, but for Mississippi, it’s 4.1%. Mississippi takes first for the highest obesity rate in the country, at 40.8%, as well as the lowest life expectancy at 74.4 years. But with all this bad, is there any good to be found in this state?

Well, to many, the answer is no. There are plenty more shocking statistics, such as the county that houses the state’s capital has a higher volume of people experiencing food insecurity than the entire state of North Dakota does, but I won’t bother dragging you through a power point presentation. Instead, I propose we ask ourselves what the solution will be to fix the unbelievable amount of damage this state currently has.

A huge belief throughout Mississippi is this: the reason we are poor is because the elected officials keep us that way. And in some cases, they might be right. Mississippi natives believe that year after year, elected officials come to statewide power off the promises that they will fix the state, when often times they leave it as it was or even in worse shape than before. But how can we even stop this, we have to elect people to have a governing body of Mississippi?

In truth, I don’t know. Truly, I have no idea. A great proposition would be to fix our education system, because when those who do find outstanding opportunities for themselves leave and never return, the state is left with one less powerful thinker that could help our problems. You know, only around 23% of the workforce in Mississippi has a Bachelor’s degree or higher. that leaves 77% of the workforce with less than that. And with absolutely no offense intended, we as a state in disrepair do not need a high level of under-educated laborers. But that’s just my thought process.

I don’t know Mississippi will fair in the years to come. I suspect soon enough, it will be deserted, or so close to it that only those with firm roots in the place will have stayed. The states immigration percentage is -0.3%, which means people are leaving the state more often than people are moving in. And that’s sad to see from my perspective. I’ve been thankful enough to not have experienced the worst this state might have to offer, food insecurity and the like, but I know people who have. And for those people, they’ve told me how tough it’s been, to know that your next meal might only come from school, but then what happens when it’s summer break? It’s a state in great need, and I believe that, as much as I love the place of my birth, it’s heading straight for a hard reset in the years to come.