What is M-Gas?
With Energy as a service (EaaS) business model being adopted globally, several service providers in the energy sector are tailoring their products and services to suit the EaaS model.
M-Gas is a Kenyan company with international backing, using technology to transform lives by providing clean cooking gas to all Kenyans.
They have partnered with Safaricom to closely align their vision for the Kenyan market, and how they could complement one another through partnering. They believe that they can ensure every household in Kenya has access to clean, affordable cooking gas by working together.
How it works
- The client is given a new gas cylinder, smart meter and stove.
- The client pays for the gas he/she needs using M-PESA.
- The smart meter helps release the gas.
- When the cylinder is nearly empty the smart meter sends an alert.
- The service provider schedules a free delivery.
- The M-Gas staff come to your house and replace the empty cylinder.
Why use M-Gas?
Enjoy clean cooking with M-Gas
Gas is cleaner than kerosene or charcoal; It is good for your health and that of your loved ones. You can now enjoy easy and clean cooking with M-Gas.
Pay with mobile
The smart meter is linked with M-Pesa. Once you credit your M-Gas account using M-Pesa, the amount reflects on the meter.
The smart meter allows you to buy as little as 1KSh of gas using M-Pesa. You can pay just for the gas you need today.
Smart meter technology
You don’t have to worry about running out of gas or credit. The smart meter shows you the amount of gas left in your cylinder and how much credit you have left in your account.
Zero upfront fee
We know how expensive it is to buy a gas cylinder and cooker as a full package all at once. You are provided with a cooker and a cylinder as part of the package at zero cost.
Timely cylinder change
The gas level in your cylinder is monitored and free delivery is scheduled before you run out of gas.
Why is M-Gas important?
M-Gas uses the Energy as a Service (EaaS) model, whereby, the client is given a cylinder filled with gas, a smart meter, a gas cooker and a key card as part of the package so you don’t have to pay the high upfront fee of buying a gas cylinder and cooker.
M-Gas aim at improving access to cooking gas, particularly for low-income communities.
M-Gas enables households to pay for gas in small amounts and enables distributors to provide uninterrupted, customer-centred gas service.
The energy as a service (EaaS) business model implemented by M-Gas has enabled it to have several advantages including:
- Enjoy clean cooking with M-Gas: No smoke and fumes are produced while cooking
- Pay with mobile: Convenience of payment
- Pay-As-You-Go: Pay only for what you consume
- Smart meter technology: Monitoring of the state of the cylinder
- Zero upfront fee: Increases accessibility of clean cooking to low-income communities
- Timely cylinder change: Your gas cylinder is replaced before it is empty.
- With its advanced technology, the card is the key to the gas meter. Keep the card away from children and they can’t waste your gas or use gas accidentally.
The trend of offering Energy as a Service in most sectors of the economy proves to be gaining traction for a better tomorrow. You’ll let me know what your take on that is.
For a detailed explanation of Energy as a Service, check out the links below:
What is Energy as a Service
Energy as a service is a service offering the customer access to energy and management services, without any commonly…